Our First Tomatoes

This spring we planted three tiny little tomato plants that were only about 6 or 7 inches high.  Now, those little babies have grown as tall as me.  I staked them up, but they are still sagging under the weight of about 40-50 tiny green tomatoes.  (I foresee canning in my future!)

Today, I went outside to find one cluster of them ripe and ready to eat.  They didn't turn out all that big.  Each tomato is only about 2 inches in diameter.  But they sure are tasty...juicy, acidic with a slight sweetness and deliciously fresh!

We sliced them up, drizzled a little Extra Virgin Olive Oil on them, sprinkled them with a little sea salt and fresh torn basil from our garden, and gobbled them up like candy.

The only issue I had with them was that some of them had little cracks in them (as you can see in the pictures), almost as if they were outgrowing their skin.  We cut off the cracked bits and the rest of the tomatoes were just fine, but I would like to know what is causing the cracking and if anything can be done about it.  Do any of you know what might be the culprit in this case?  If you do, please enlighten me...I would like to save the other tomatoes from such a terrible fate if I can.

Comments

Nabila Grace said…
Hmm....your tomatoes look great! You know what? I'm having the same problem with some of my tomatoes...If I find out an answer to our issue I'll let you know! :o)
Nabila Grace said…
http://www.agrisupportonline.com/Articles/cracking_in_tomatoes.htm

There is a website that I found! :o)
Jenni said…
Thanks! I'm not sure there is much I CAN do after reading that...but it's educational, none-the-less!

Popular Posts