Raised Garden: Update


Remember the day I nearly broke my back making raised garden beds?


Well, we are finally starting to see the results of our hard work.  Tiny tufts of lettuce and spinach are growing up every where.  Looking back, I probably could have planted more.  But, I was a good little girl, and followed the spacing directions on the packet.  My garden looks a bit sparse.


Scraggly bits of radishes and carrots are popping up.  The radishes are ready to eat.


The pole beans are barely just tall enough to reach their climbing apparatus.  It appears that something has already made a feast of the leaves...and it's only May.  I hope that isn't a sign of bad things to come.


A few weeks ago, I planted my tomato seedlings only to come out the next day to find that some creature had eaten all of the tops off of them, leaving nothing but pathetic little stubs.  They didn't survive.  So, I bought three slightly more mature tomato plants, put them in the ground about two weeks ago, and because Kentucky has suddenly become Seattle, the rain has nearly drowned the poor things.  They are scrawny and anemic looking.  I'm hoping they make it.  Tomatoes are a staple in our summer household.  Last year we had a surplus of tomatoes...this year, I'm hoping for enough to maybe make a single Capri salad.  Our pepper and cucumber seedlings have all but nearly died as well.  If only we could take some of this rain and send it to Texas.  I normally LOVE the rain (I'm weird, I know) but I'm all for sharing the love.


I suppose I will enjoy what I can of this gardening endeavor.  I'm eating these for lunch tomorrow.

*By the way...my camera is behaving cantankerously.  Some days it turns on...others, it doesn't.  It's also not focusing very well.  I fear it's on it's last leg.  Because I'm not made of money, and I can't make money grow in my garden, if my camera dies, it might be a while before I can get a new one.  Which would obviously hinder my blogging abilities.  :0(   This makes me a bit peevish myself.*


Comments

Nabila Grace said…
Your garden looks good! It takes time to figure everything out. I planted a lot of corn but not all of it is growing I'm really sad about that. Oh well...I might plant some more and see if it shows up or not. Your lettuce looks good. I'm growing lettuce for the first time and so far so good.

Popular Posts