1930's Dress: Finished Grey Gown


I don't have much to say about the finished gunmetal-grey 1930's dress.  So, I will primarily let the pictures speak for themselves.




One thing I did differently from the muslin mock-up that I originally designed, was to eliminate the series of pleats along the waistline of the skirt. My reasons for doing this were two fold: one, they made the over-all appearance of the dress too busy...and two, they drew unnecessary attention to my middle (not a place I want the focus to be.) One thing I didn't count on, was that the bias cut fabric tends to twist around me...but that's just the nature of the beast, I suppose. Also, I'm pretty disappointed in the hem line...I'm just not very good with hemming, machine or hand stitched. I'm hoping that the more I sew, the better I will get at hemming. But it's been 3 years now, and...well...maybe no one will look too closely at my hem. However, the dress is uber-soft, and feminine. I love wearing it, and am so glad I decided to tackle the design, as I think it's a pretty flattering one.

Comments

Sarah said…
Oh MY GOSH! Jenni!! This superb! You look just like a real 1930's woman and the dress is so, so wonderful. I LOVE the sleeves and how they drape. .. and the design of the skirt and the bodice. It's perfect. I LOVE the bow at the neck as well as the tie belt. You are beautiful. In whatever era you are. But this one is especially gorgeous on you, I think.
Laura said…
This dress is stunning! I love all the details. It looks absolutely wonderful on you. I am in a state of perpetual awe over your sewing prowess.
Jenni said…
Sarah, Gee, thanks. You know, I really do think I was born in the wrong era. ;)

Laura, Well, we are even then...because I'm always in awe over your knitting and embroidering skilz. One of these days, I'm going to have you knit a vintage sweater for me...I've got the patterns!
Nabila Grace said…
Oh I love it! :o) It has such a classic look to it that it's timeless! :o) Are you going to make anymore dresses with this style? :o)

Popular Posts