Historical Food Fortnightly: Challenge #6: Seasonal Foods


This certainly is not as appealing of a recipe as the pies were, but now that I'm back to work teaching, time is not my own.  So...seasonal foods...to me, one of my favorite foods of this season are fresh FIGS.  This recipe was quick, easy, and delicious in its simplicity.  Try it now, if you can, before the beloved fig goes away for another year.



Better Meals for Less Money by Mary Green

Ingredients
4 bananas
4 figs
2 tablespoons powdered sugar
1/4 cup chopped nut meats

Instructions
Peel, scrape, and slice bananas; wash, dry, and chop figs; spread over bananas; sprinkle with sugar and nut meats, and serve with cream. Grape nuts may be used in place of nut meats.



The Date/Year and Region: English/American, 1917


Time to Complete: 5 mins


How Successful Was It?: It was simple and delicious.  The textures complimented each other, and the fresh, wild flavor of the figs went well with the sweet, domesticated banana.  To me, it was a healthy dessert.

How Accurate Is It?: The only difference between the original recipe and what I made... instead of using cream, I used coconut milk.  I try not to each too much dairy.  And I wasn't even sure what sort of "cream" they were referring to...heavy cream, or whipped cream, or clotted cream???  Also, I adjusted the quantities, using only 1 banana, two figs, 1 tablespoon powdered sugar, and a sprinkling of chopped walnuts, because I was the only one eating it.  

Comments

Stephanie Ann said…
I'm always trying to think of something to make with figs. This looks great!
Now I am just a tad bit hungry :)
Yum! This looks very tasty - a mouthful of vitamins & flavours :)

Sabine

Popular Posts